I am a Skirt Sports Ambassador and therefore, receive some compensation from their company. However, any and all posts I write about them are purely because I love their brand!

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

C is for ... Let's Play A Letter Game

It's December and Christmas approaches so I'm going to do something a little different with this post! Are you ready?

C is for Christ Child.  Did you think I was going to say anything else?  It is Jesus's birthday, after all and Christ is in Christmas. This is the time when we celebrate that God sent the little baby, Jesus, humble and unexpected in form, to save us all.  He was Emmanuel, God With Us.  Many were expecting a King, a Mighty Warrior, to save them from the political domination.  Instead they were given a tiny babe, wrapped in swaddling clothes, child of a carpenter and his wife.  He wasn't here to offer political salvation.  He was here to teach, to preach, to get to know those around him, to spread God's love and a new way of connecting with God.  In the end, he was here to die a terrible death so that we could avoid the punishment we deserved.  Because of his death and subsequent resurrection, we are able to find hope, salvation, and eternal life with Christ.  Yeah, he's a pretty awesome reason to celebrate Christmas!

H is for Hot Cocoa.  In the earlier part of the month Kristy and I, along with my hubby, participated in the Hot Cocoa Run in Arlington.  It was a 5K/10K option.  We ran the 10K which took us around the airport up there.  It was a great run with lots of variety, some road, some sidewalk and a lot of trail with packed dirt and gravel.  Bonus were all the sled dogs out training!  They were pulling their owners along on what looked like Elipti-Go's.  The day was cold but we were treated with mugs of Hot Cocoa at the finish.  The cocoa was good and the mugs were awesome!  We'll be back.  Better yet, it's a small race so I got 1st place in my AG and Kristy and my husband both placed 2nd in AG.  Small race field for the win!  
Without sunglasses

With Sunglasses 


You can just make out the doggies coming down the hill.  




R is for relief and relaxation!  What?  Relaxing at Christmas?  That's an oxymoron! Well, aren't you relived when you finally have all your Christmas shopping done and can finally relax?! Well, relax long enough to get out all the wrapping paper, boxes, and bows.  I do, however, like to spread out my whole mess in my family room and watch Christmas movies while I wrap.  I may or may not have a hot chocolate turmeric drink on hand.  What's that, you ask?  So good!  It's hot chocolate with a bit of turmeric latte mix stirred in.  Yummy!  It's like a spiced chocolate drink.  Did you know turmeric is supposed to help with stress?  Yes!  It's the perfect relief and relaxation drink!  

I is for Icicles!  Baby it's cold outside! (sing it, you know you want to) We haven't had snow at my house this December but we've had cold temps and my pond has been frozen.  It's also been really sunny.  I love this kind of weather!  Cold and sunny, you can't get much better in winter.  I love going for a run with sunglasses while my breath poofs out in front of me and feeling the invigorating cold in my lungs.  (I should clarify, cold air here is typically 20-30's.  I might change my mind if I lived where it got into the single digits all the time)

S is for Sweaters, Socks, Soup, Snuggles and Santa.  Since I love cold and sunny temps it stands to reason I love sweaters!  My new favorite is the Wonder Wool Jacket from Skirt Sports. It's called a jacket but it's more like wearing a sweater. So cozy!  I pair it with their wool top and wool skirt and I'm comfy and ready for a run or a night out.  I wore it to my hubby's office party last night.  I also love fuzzy socks because my feet get cold.  I like soup because it warms my insides and fills my grumbling tummy at the same time.  I love snuggling under a really soft warm blanket with my husband or my kids. I also love snuggling under a blanket with a warm and snugly kitty lying atop it.  Talk about warm and cozy! We have family in the south.  They could never understand our obsession with blankets because they don't really need them there.  It's too hot. But people in the NW tend to be obsessed with blankets, especially in the rainy area of the PNW.  That cold and damp wet will chill you to the bones.  I guess that's a good reason for sweaters, socks and soup, too! As for Santa, well, you have to mention Santa!  He's just fun!  And jolly!  Who doesn't like jolly?  Even The Grinch and Scrooge came around in the end.  
Here's what you get when my black kitty has the prime lap spot, and Tabby kitty decides he wants to cuddle too, but insists on being closest to mommy.  

This is what you call a lap of cats!

This is the Wonder Wool outfit from Skirt Sports that I'm so in love with.  Ignore the bathroom background. I took this at my husband's office for a friend who was interested in how it fit.  It fits great, by the way! If you're interested you can use code FALL20WIN for 20% off before the end of December.  I'll have a new code in January so check back!
T is for Tribe, Training and Treats! I recently participated in the 12k's of Christmas Run in Kirkland, Wa.  It was so much fun!  Once again, I went with my BRF, Kristy.  She's my faithful training partner.  We keep one another accountable for getting our mileage in as well as attempting to work some strength and flexibility training into our schedules.  Of course, all this training means we can attend fun events like 12k's.  When I woke that morning I put on all my crazy Christmas gear and twirled for my husband's inspection.  "What do you think," I asked him.  "You look Christmasy," he said.  I think he was happy he wasn't going with me to this race.  He wasn't sure he wanted to be seen with me sporting a red tutu and snowflake socks.  My son came downstairs with messed up bedhead hair and still rubbing the sleep from his 14 year old eyes.  He glanced at me, took it all in, and just rolled his eyes and shook his head.  Yesterday, when I was hoola hooping, he told me his friends had normal moms.  I see a pattern emerging in his opinion of my hobbies.  I really don't care!  ha!  At the race we saw our friend, Sheryl.  So much fun to talk to her! She finished far ahead of us so I'm glad we saw her at the start. We also saw LeAnne and her family, who I haven't seen in forever. On course and at the finish we saw a whole bunch of our Skirt Sports Sisters. Apparently, I somehow missed that my friend and occasional race running partner, Jen, was there! Bummer!

This is why I love running!  It's the running tribe I get to hang out with, on so many occasions, that helps keep me coming back and putting in the work.  You start out as strangers but put a few miles in together and you bond! And then, after you're done, you can enjoy treats together.  Treats can be in the form of race swag (this one had an awesome beanie, medal and shirt), bagels and bananas (if that floats your boat) or you can do like Kristy and me and go grab lunch at Mongolian Grill on the way home.

What was my son so embarrassed about?
We found Sheryl!


They had Santa and Mrs. Clause available for photos

Skirt Sports Ambassador Sisters!

More Skirt Sisters were found!

And the treat part of this race ... swag!  Well, seeing my friends was a treat also!
M is for Mercy.  This is a joyful time of year for many but it's also a hard time of year for many.  It's a time when loss is felt especially hard and loneliness makes itself more aware. We need to remember to be merciful to those who are hurting.  Keep your eyes and your heart open to those who need a kind word, a hug, and maybe just a quiet listening ear.  It's also a time when financial struggles hit with extra oomph. When you can't afford Christmas for your family it's devastating. Find a charity that helps people in need.  There's so many options!  Your local food bank, church, The Salvation Army, shelters, foster care programs,  and so many more.  Even races can be an opportunity to give!  The Hot Cocoa run we did donated funds to help purchase toys for kids who otherwise might not get a present on Christmas morning. The 12K's race helped the furry kids among us as it sponsored the Seattle Humane Society. If you don't want to give to an organization, you can always put together a care bag to hand out to the homeless.  Christ showed mercy upon us and we need to return that gift by giving to others.  
Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in , or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' 

A is for Attitude.  I'll be fully honest here, I've struggled with my attitude this month.  My anxiety and stress level has been a bit elevated this year.  I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's hormonal (I am in that Peri-menopause stage of life and it's been a doozy) maybe it's the crazy schedule our family has been under the last two years, but yes, I've been a bit stressed and it shows.  My patience level has been pretty low and I find I lose my top easier than normal.  Just a couple weeks ago I was actually dreading Christmas.  I've never dreaded Christmas.  The obligation of things I need to do and places I need to go has been overwhelming.  I feel guilty for not getting Christmas cards out (and it's not happening, I'm afraid), I feel bad that I haven't baked a single Christmas cookie for my kids (that may still happen), and  I am frustrated by the condition of my house (it's a huge mess).  Our house doesn't even have Christmas lights up this year (that's on my hubby) but it's because his schedule is insane and that trickles down to the rest of us.  Owning your own business does not mean you get to take a lot of time off!  It has been getting better this last month though so I'm hopeful. But I realize, even though I feel all this stress and anxiety, I can still choose to have a cheerful attitude.  If I choose to smile and laugh instead of yell and tear my hair out, I will feel better overall. Let's face it, I'll look better too.  Bald patches where I'm missing the hair I've torn out isn't a good look. Meanwhile, I'm working hard to eat better, keep exercising (endorphins do a body good), attempt to keep a clean kitchen, laundry room, and family room, drink tea that's good for the mood, write, spend time with friends, read my bible, and enjoy my kids and husband when they are home.  I'm choosing a cheerful attitude!  

S is for Savior.  And this takes us full circle, back to the babe in the manger.  Humble beginnings to a humble life, followed by a dark and awful death.  But he wasn't always the humble babe in the manger.  He is the King. He left his throne in heaven to be with us.  He chose his humble life on earth, he chose his terrible death on the cross because he chooses us, he chooses YOU.  And why would the God of the Heavens, Creator of the Earth, choose you? Because he loves you and he wants to spend eternity with you. God can't tolerate sin.  He is just and sin cannot reside with Him.  But He wants us with Him, despite our propensity for sin.  So He sent Jesus.  Jesus took all our sin, all our yuck, all our faults and he put them on himself, his sinless self.  And then he allowed himself to be taunted, beaten, and bruised. He allowed himself to be put upon the cross.  He allowed the nails in his hands and feet.  He allowed death to take him. He knew what was coming.  He knew it would be awful.  He was human. He felt human pain.  He knew it would hurt.  And yet he allowed himself to be taken away by the guards.  He could have stopped it at any time and yet, he didn't.  He trusted the plan of God the Father and he gave his life for us.  What will you give for him?

Isaiah 9:6
"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder.  And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Matthew 1:18-23
"The birth of Jesus Christ happened like this.  When Mary was engaged to Joseph, just before their marriage, she was discovered to be pregnant - by the Holy Spirit.  Whereupon Joseph, her future husband, who was a good man and did not want to see her disgraced, planned to break off the engagement quietly.  But while he was turning the matter over in his mind an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as you wife! What she has conceived is conceived through the Holy Spirit, and she will give birth to a son, whom you will call Jesus ('The Savior') for it is he who will save his people from their sins." All this happened to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet - 'Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel'. ("Immanuel" means "God with us") When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.  But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son.  And he gave him the name Jesus." 
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the word, but to save the world through him."

The Glorious end to this story is celebrated at Easter.  After his death, his body was put in the tomb but it did not stay there.  The stone rolled away.  Christ rose from the dead.  In death, he defeated death.  All for you. 



*I am an ambassador for Skirt Sports and do receive some compensation in the form of clothes for sharing their brand, however, I was not asked to write this blog or mention any items.  I do that on my own accord, simply because I love their brand! Any other products or brands mentioned are entirely of my own accord, also.  I have no ties to them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment