I am a Skirt Sports Ambassador and therefore, receive some compensation from their company. However, any and all posts I write about them are purely because I love their brand!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

This Marathon Taper Has Been Like One Long Suspense Movie!

I've decided that the taper before a marathon feels a lot like sitting through a really intense and suspenseful movie. You know, the kind of movie that has you gripping the edge of your seat white knuckled, holding your breath and biting your lips. Oh, and this movie goes on and on and on and on. It never lets up and the intensity continually builds until you don't think you can stand it a moment longer. You just want to know how it ends already!


Yeah, that's what my taper feels like. One long suspense movie and today I am finally seeing the end in sight. Of course, like all good suspense movies that is when nerves are the most frayed and fingernails the most heavily chewed. It dawned on me that today is my last full day at home. Tomorrow I leave for the race city, check into my hotel and pick up my registration and bib number at the expo. I will attend the pre-race pasta feed where I will take a bite of spaghetti while simultaneously getting my first bite of the local marathon culture.

I think I'm gonna be sick. My stomach is one big knot of anxiety and anticipation. If I'm already feeling this anxious how on earth will I sleep Friday night and what will I feel like Saturday morning? I can only trust past race experience and know that race day magic will show up and do its thing.  So what if this is double the distance? I've done double the training! I will be ready. I am ready!  I know there are multiple folks praying for me as I embark on this adventure.  I know God is faithful and He will toe the starting line with me.  I am confident He will be running beside me at mile 10, mile 15, mile 20, mile 23 ... all the way to 26.2.  If only life had a fast forward button to get me through all this suspense, a way to jump forward to the starting line. But then I'd be missing part of the experience, wouldn't I? So, I'm gently reminding myself to enjoy this day and worry about tomorrow when I get to it. Today I'm taking Matthew 6:34 to heart!

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Of course, prayers for very little trouble race day are much appreciated! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment