I am a Skirt Sports Ambassador and therefore, receive some compensation from their company. However, any and all posts I write about them are purely because I love their brand!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Running To Life

I've wanted to start a blog for a long time now. I have always loved to write and was a faithful journal keeper growing up. So why the long wait to start what is basically an on-line journal? Well, the answer is in the question. It is on-line. Pressure! It's not really about people being able to read what I write, that doesn't bother me and in fact, I hope people do read it. The pressure arrives when I have to decide the focus and title of this blog. I want to write about my passions in life. Lately, that has been my new found love for running and training for my first marathon. In addition, I want to include my love and passion for Christ. How do I make that work and how do I wrap it all up into one title that will portray all I want to say? What title can grab the attention of those who enjoy running yet also speak to those who understand what Paul was talking about when he wrote, "Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step." 1 Cor. 9:24-26
I decided even if I didn't have the perfect blog title it was time to take a leap of faith and just go for it. Sort of like that first 5K race I signed up for. I had no idea what to expect. What awaited me at the starting line and what would greet me at the finish line were mysteries but I took the chance and signed up anyway. What I found was a new passion. A passion that keeps me happy and healthy as I run through life. Not only am I leaner, fitter and better able to keep up with my kids but the mood lifting endorphins are an awesome bonus!
Running is also a passion in which I have found time to break away from the chaotic choppiness of life and enter into a small bit of stillness with my Lord. It gives me a chance to talk with him uninterrupted. It forces me to breathe, close my mouth (except to draw in deep breaths as my heart rate speeds up) and open my ears and heart to hear His voice. I've drawn a deeper understanding of what it is to run through this life He has given me. And lo and behold, I have the title of my blog. See what happens when one takes a leap of faith? God supplies a place for the foot to land. All these months of wrinkling my forehead in deep thought over a title and the minute I put fingers to keyboard (as opposed to pen to paper) the title just comes to me. Running To Life. It means I am running to a healthier and happier life but it also means I am running to Life Himself. May you also find yourself running to a happier and healthier life!

1 comment:

  1. As a close observer of everything "Pam" I have been a first hand witness to the new battery charge this enthusiasm for running has given to you. You don't run because you have to, but because I can see that you are loving the challenge! The blog title is perfect! You are running to a healthier physical life and a healthier, deeper spiritual life. Go Pamela! Loving you, Mom

    ReplyDelete