I am a Skirt Sports Ambassador and therefore, receive some compensation from their company. However, any and all posts I write about them are purely because I love their brand!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Less Traveled Path

     Today was a great day for a run!  The sun was shining and the temperature was a moderate 53 degrees.  Lately, most of my runs have been in the drenching rain and I've been coming home looking and feeling like a drowned rat.  While I actually enjoy running in some rain the sun was a nice change of pace.  Let me take that back.  The sun and 53 degrees was a nice change.  Monday I ran 14 miles with the sun in 60 degree weather.  Let's just say strong sun in 60 degrees can make me look like a sweaty rat.  Strong sun in 70 degree weather makes me look like a sweaty rat suffering from heat stroke who had probably taken a bite of poisoned cheese.  Yeah, I don't do heat all that well. Today though, the sun felt good. 
     Since my last run was 14 miles I had an easy 5 mile recovery run scheduled.  That means I was able to just enjoy myself.  Ahhh ... serenity.  I didn't want to have to think about dodging cars and curbs so I went to the trail and was rewarded with a beautiful hawk soaring directly over my head.  I love the trail!
     A little past the half-way point of my run I looked out over the path ahead of me.  It was a straight way and I could see the trail stretching out into the distance lit the entire way by the sun. Rather than feeling daunting, I found the distance inviting and in stark contrast to the busy road running parallel to me.  The road is one I would never run.  There are no sidewalks, very little shoulder and lots of fast moving cars.  I'm a fairly cautious runner and this just screams "danger!" at me.  My trail, on the other hand, was the perfect picture of serenity and peace.
     As I continued on my way, it dawned on me that this is a lot like my walk with the Lord.  I have two paths I can take.  One is the wide and often travelled road.  It looks big and fast and exciting.  It appears that if I travel it I will get where I want with speed and have a lot of fun doing it.  However, it's deceptive.  I can easily find myself lost among the crazy twists, turns and smaller roads jutting off of it.  I can get caught up in faster moving vehicles unable to slow down to a speed I find more preferable.  Likewise, if I drive too slowly I can be made to feel inferior as other's quickly pass me by.  I can find myself crushed and bruised if I take a turn too sharply and lose control.  What at first appeared to be the best route winds up being the death of me. 
     Then there is the less traveled road.  The narrow path.  Only a few opt to take its course but here I find peace.  I can walk the pace that is right for me.  I can enjoy the beauty and joy this life has to offer because I have the time to get to know the Maker of this life.  Every so often I find markers telling me I am on the right path and how far I've come.  I see the path is lit by the Son.  His warmth and light direct me.  I am never alone and never lonely.  Yes, there is debris that blows over from the other road.  If I'm not keeping my eye on the light I risk tripping and falling but the Son promises to guide me and even offers a hand in the more treacheorus territory.  He never promised an easy path but it will always be safe with Him as my guide.  One day He promises I will reach the end and there will be waiting for me a crown of glory.  Or a medal for the race minded among us.   So which path will you choose?  I know my choice.  I want the path that leads to life.  Besides, I'm always up for a new medal.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment