I am a Skirt Sports Ambassador and therefore, receive some compensation from their company. However, any and all posts I write about them are purely because I love their brand!

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Why All The Skirt Sports Selfies?

Those of you who follow me on Instagram or Facebook may have noticed a new theme in my posting.  Okay, perhaps not entirely new.  I've been posting about running and races for more than a few years now, but recently, I've added more selfies of me in my favorite running gear.  I know, Selfies! Ack! I promise, I'm not going through a mid-life crisis as I try to relive my teenage years (Oh, wait, we didn't have selfies back then). Goodness, no!  I have one teen and one almost teen at home and believe me, that's all the teens I need in our household.  I'm all teen'ed up!  (Side note, I love my teens). No, my new fascination with selfies is a part of my new role as a Skirt Sports Captain Ambassador.

 What is this, you ask?  First, Skirt Sports is a company that specializes in making real clothes for real women who move.  Back in 2003, pro-triathlete, Nicole DeBoom, decided the athletic world did not have comfortable and flattering clothing for women and that had to change.  She designed the first ever "running skirt" and in 2004 she wore it in Ironman Wisconsin, placing 1st.  Apparently, she wasn't the only woman who felt shorts that ride up were both uncomfortable and unflattering and the world of Skirt Sports took off.  They create clothing, designed for ALL bodies (most items range from XS to XXL) that are comfortable, practical, flattering, cute and well, they make you feel both like you can kick butt and strut your stuff on a runway.

Now, how did I become a Skirt Sports Captain Ambassador?  Let's start from the beginning. It was 2007 and I was excitedly opening the link to photos from my first half marathon. Now, those of you who are experienced racers know that we all get bad race photos but I was still a new runner at this point.  I had no idea.  I didn't know that sometimes it's the clothes that can make or break a photo.  I cringed when I saw my finish line shot ... me ... running proudly across the finish line ... my shorts attempting their own push for a line to cross ... my crotch!  Seriously?! Ugh! Considering how mortified I was at the time by this photo (I actually covered the offending area with a sticker that said Finisher when I scrapbooked it) I cannot believe I'm about to post it for the whole internet world to see, I guess I've grown past caring now that I'm in my 40's.

By the time I repeated this half marathon in 2009 I had a running skirt to wear.  I also wore it for my first marathon because, hey, it wasn't even a question regarding what I was going to wear for my first 26.2.  




MUCH better rear view, don't ya think?
 I was a Skirt Convert.  I admit, I tried other skirt brands.  Some of them I liked and some pretty much sat in my drawer.  But one brand kept drawing me back every time I needed to run ... Skirt Sports. I loved their styles, their comfort and fit, their pockets, and the way they made me feel when I ran - like a girl! I'm not much of a fashionista in real life but when I run ... I want to look good!  And the added bonus of Skirt Sports is they look good on when I'm not running!  I've worn them hiking, to the beach or pool, camping, to Hawaii, to the grocery store, and even out to eat at nice restaurants. They were the perfect gear for Disneyland.  Pockets meant I didn't have to carry a purse or fanny pack (ha!) and the quick drying property meant I could ride all the water rides I wanted and my clothes would dry quickly. They are truly versatile!

I also liked what they, as a company, stood for - athletic clothing made for real women.  Women comes in all sizes, shapes and capabilities and Skirt Sports knows this and embraces us all.  No matter who we are, what size we are, how old we are, or where we are in our fitness goals Skirt Sports encourages us to get out and move without worrying about what may or may not be jiggling (though if it's your boobies that do a little jiggle dance they've got some excellent bras!).  They encourage us all to face the fears and intimidating thoughts that keep us women from reaching high. They formed the #REALwomenmove movment which encourages women to push past all of these boundaries we place in front of ourselves. If you want to know more about it you can check out their webpage.  Here's a handy link. #REALwomenmove Skirt Sports

My friends began telling me I was a walking advertisement for Skirt Sports so when I saw they had an ambassador program I began to consider if I could do it.  I waited a couple years to apply because I thought, "Why would they pick me?" (hello fear and intimidation) But then I decided, "Why not me?" and determined to apply. This year, when the announcement came that they were accepting applications for ambassadors, I hopped right to it and sent in my application, still thinking, with so many people applying, I shouldn't get my hopes up.  But the magical email came that I had been accepted!  I was pumped!  And now, here I am, posting selfies in my Skirt Sports gear and encouraging all of you to give them a try!

Just a few of the many Skirt Sports I've worn through the years!
Yes, that's a kid sized skirt my daughter is wearing.

Seattle Marathon

Iron Girl Tri Seattle

Seattle Marathon

Hawaii!  I love this purple skirt.

Universal Studios

California Adventure after one of our many wet Grizzly River Rides

Rain Run Half Marathon
Yankee Doodle Dash
Oh, the added bonus of being an ambassador ... I get gift certificates and discounts to purchase more closet engulfing clothes!  Yippee!  And just as good, I get a discount to pass on to you, my friends!  Are you ready for it?  It's RTL20 and it's good for 20% off! Now go shop and then just GO!  Move that body!






No comments:

Post a Comment