I am a Skirt Sports Ambassador and therefore, receive some compensation from their company. However, any and all posts I write about them are purely because I love their brand!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pool Interrupted!

Well, it's been another week of no running. At least I think it's been a week. I'm beginning to lose track. I sure hope this leg heals up soon because I really miss running. It's so simple. Just throw on some shoes and running clothes and either hit the roads or the treadmill. In a matter of moments I have a good cadence going with my breathing and a soon to follow endorphin rush. It's pure sweetness! Now however, I have to work really hard for those endorphins. I've been doing a little pilates and then continuing to swim in the kiddos pool. I'm getting pretty good at twisting and turning (ab work, remember!) after swimming 3 arm strokes in the water. And when the kids join me I get a double workout as I have to swim against the whirlpool they like to create as they run circles around me screaming, "Shark!". Sigh ... it's not the most relaxing exercise in the world. I miss "ME TIME" on the trail. Yesterday I actually had the pool to myself. Grandpa and Grandma took the kids for a few hours and I was so happy to have adult swim time. No splashing but my own, no talking, no one screaming shark, no one screaming, "Dead spider in the pool! Get it, get it, get it!", no having to stop mid-stride to avoid a child's pool toy, no having to worry about kicking a child in the face on accident, no having to get out of the pool an incessent amount of times to "fetch" things. Well, 5 out of 7 isn't bad, I guess. I had just gotten my heart rate up when the little neighbor boy peeked his head over the fence asking for a paper he'd thrown over onto our side. "You know what, I'm working out right now. I'll get it for you when I'm done." I told him. I proceeded to swim. When I looked up a few moments later I saw his little face continueing to peer at me over the fence. Once more I ignored him and silently said to myself, "Go away, go away, go away." He didn't go away. I now know I should have just gotten out of the pool then and there and given him his paper because he stared at me the entire time. Why didn't I? I didn't want to lose the precious high heartrate I had achieved. I didn't want to interrupt my "ME TIME" for kids I wasn't supposed to be dealing with. Not to mention, it wasn't exactly warm outside and neither was my water. Each time I get out means another time of plunging myself into the shocking cold. Selfish? You bet! Anyway, after 40 minutes of being observed I finally said, "Do you need something?" Sure enough, he pointed at his paper. "I'll get it for you when I'm done. You don't have to wait there. I'll hand it to you. I promise." More staring. Fine. I took a deep breath and reigned in my frustration as I climbed out the ladder, retrieved the paper and handed it to him with a reminder not to throw things over the fence. His little head happily bobbed away not to be seen again. I should have just done it in the first place. It would have saved him anxiety over his paper and me a lot of frustration. Of course, even my own kids know not to interrupt mom's workout unless it is an emergency. I'm a much happier and less cranky mom if I'm getting my endorphin need met. But, as I said, my own kids know that. He's not my kid so how could he possibly know this about me? I suppose I should chalk this up to a lesson on loving one's neighbors. I actually like my neighbors and I'm blessed to have the neighbors I do. I suppose I just need to get running again so I don't wind up being "that cranky neighbor lady who won't even get out of the pool to give us our toy back".

No comments:

Post a Comment